Factors that lead to short-circuiting of Lead acid battery
The lead acid battery short circuit phenomenon is mainly manifested in the following aspects:
1) Open circuit voltage low, and closed circuit voltage (discharge) soon reaches the termination voltage.
2) When discharging at a high current, the terminal voltage drops rapidly to zero.
3) When an open circuit, electrolyte density is very low, and electrolyte will freeze in a low-temperature environment.
4) When charging, the voltage rises slowly and always remains low (sometimes falling to zero).
5) When charging, the temperature of the electrolyte rises very high and fast.
6) When charging, the electrolyte density rises slowly or hardly changes.
7) When charging, no bubbles or gas appear very late.
2. Causes of internal short circuit of lead acid battery mainly include:
1) The diaphragm quality is not good or defective. So that the plate active substance through, resulting in positive and negative plate virtual contact or direct contact.
2) The partition plate channeling causes positive and negative plates to be connected.
3) The active substance on the plate expands and falls off. Due to excessive deposition of the active substance, the positive and negative plates contact each other with the sediments. This results in the positive and negative plates being connected.
4) The positive and negative plates are connected when the conductive object falls into the battery.
5) The "lead flow" formed during the welding pole group is not completely removed. The "lead bean" exists between the positive and negative plates during the assembly. The baffle plate is damaged during the charging and discharging process. This results in the connection between the positive and negative plates.
3. Lead acid battery short circuit treatment method:
The following mainly analyzes the lead acid battery short circuit caused by:
1 Excessive charging current,
2 Charging voltage of a single battery exceeding 2.4V,
3 Internal short-circuit or partial discharge,
4 Excessive temperature rise and valve control failure and summarizes the treatment methods of lead acid battery short circuit as follows:
a) Reduce the charging current, reduce the charging voltage, and check whether the safety valve body is blocked. Charge and discharge regularly. Many of the floating charging voltage and discharge voltage of lead acid batteries in the UPS power system have been adjusted to the rated value before delivery, and the discharge current increases with the increase of the load. Therefore, the load should be properly adjusted during use, for example, to control the number of electronic devices such as computers.
b) Take the 12V battery as an example. If the open-circuit voltage is higher than 12.5V, the battery storage capacity is more than 80%. It should be recharged immediately f the open-circuit voltage is lower than 12.5V. If the open-circuit voltage is less than 12V, the battery stores less than 20% of the energy and cannot be used. When the battery is short-circuited, its short-circuit current can reach hundreds of amperes. The stronger the short circuit contact, the greater the short circuit current, so all connection parts will generate a lot of heat, heat in the weak link is greater, will be fused at the junction, short circuit phenomenon.
Precautions when using lead acid battery
So in the process of using lead-acid batteries, we must pay attention to the correct use of batteries, absolutely can not have a short circuit. When installing lead-acid batteries, take insulation measures for the tools. Before connecting the cables, connect the electrical appliances other than the battery to ensure that there is no short circuit and connect the batteries. Ensure that the wiring specifications are well insulated to prevent breakage caused by overlapping compression. This meticulous work, can better prevent lead acid battery short circuits, make lead acid batteries safer to use, and life will be longer.
The floating charging voltage of batteries with degraded performance and significantly reduced capacity often does not change significantly, and it cannot be identified and processed by single online operation monitoring. When abnormal discharge voltage of a battery is found in the discharge process, a warning can be issued, which is often too late. Therefore, it is of great significance to monitor the performance of the battery, analyze the change of its internal electrochemical state and provide management and maintenance suggestions at the same time of monitoring the running state of the battery.
Prolonging lead acid battery life
In order to prolong the service life of lead-acid batteries, we must first improve the daily parameter monitoring function of the battery online monitoring system, such as the temperature of the single battery, the electrode reaction process parameters of the battery discharge process, not just simply monitor the internal resistance of the battery! Must provide battery operating parameters in the process of operation and the analysis of the unreasonable factors such as environment, especially the single battery or battery failure precursor analysis, according to different cause the cause of premature failure of the battery to make maintenance tips, in this way can a target in a timely manner to maintain battery as necessary, to the design life of lead-acid battery with good enough.
Lithium Battery has become a better replacement for lead-acid batteries due to these shortcomings. You can order lithium-ion batteries from SPP by checking on our different products and contacting us for orders.